- Party Planning Ideas
- Bachelor Party Ideas
- Toddler Birthday Party Ideas
- 25th Birthday Party Ideas
- 30th Birthday Party Ideas
- 50th Anniversary Party Ideas
- 16th Birthday Party Ideas
- 13th Birthday Party Ideas
- 21st Birthday Party Ideas
- Miss Spider Party Ideas
Hollywood Movie Party Ideas
Beauty is timeless, performances are priceless, and Hollywood is forever. From the first reels of film to come out of the small studios, to computer-rendered masterpieces, Hollywood has always been about glitz and glamor. Gala nights, movie premieres, flash bulbs, and autographs were all part of what made Hollywood so close, and still so far away. While these things are still part of Hollywood today, they reached their heyday during the Golden Age of American movies.
Many people like to watch the latest Hollywood blockbusters, but classic films have many loyal fans and followers. Some fans of classic movies long for the days of Fred Astaire and Ginger Rogers, Clark Gable and Vivien Leigh, and Humphrey Bogart and Ingrid Bergman. While that time has long since passed and a new generation of cinema is now at the theaters, nostalgia can never die and wither away. You can bring back that significant age in movie history by making your own version of Hollywood, with a party in your own home.
“Here’s Looking At You, Kid:” Red Carpet Treatments
The Golden Age of Hollywood was all about glamor and extravagance. While you don’t have to break your budget spending for the best that Hollywood can offer, you can replicate the same effect for your Hollywood bash with these ideas:
- Red carpet can be borrowed or rented from theaters or cinemas. The carpet has to be long enough to cover the walkway where your guests will arrive.
- Champagne and wine are the preferred drinks of many movie superstars. You don’t have to spend big money buying expensive champagne like Moët et Chandon, or a very fine expensive wine like Beaujolais Nouveau. As long as the wine tastes good and has a more expensive price tag than what you usually buy, then it’s fit enough for superstars.
- Costumes make all the difference between a red carpet gala and a true Hollywood movie party. With the right make-up artists at the right salon, even the most plain-looking guests can look as grand as classic Hollywood icons like Marilyn Monroe and Rudolph Valentino.
A bottle of champagne
“Just One For the Gipper:” Decorating the Venue
Hollywood prides itself on extravagant sets; in 1963, Elizabeth Taylor starred in the $44-million epic Cleopatra, which costs almost $300 million today. You don’t have that much money to spend, but you don’t have to run yourself bankrupt just to get your party venue set up. Remember that because you’re throwing a Hollywood movie bash, the focus should be on the movies. Here are some ideas on how you can make your party venue look like a hall of fame for classic movies:
- Reels and projection screens can be borrowed or rented out from video stores, although you may have an old fashioned projector reel with old reels from the Golden Age of Hollywood. You can also borrow LCD projectors if you don’t have projection reels. You can then show the movies on blank walls or on projection screens set up by the walls.
- Lighting rigs can also be rented out from party supply stores and events management firms. Spotlights and floodlights can help give your venue a real Hollywood appeal. Lighting does not come cheap, though, so prepare to spend a lot of money for utility bills and rental fees.
- Movie posters can be bought from bookstores and specialty video rental stores that cater to classic movie fans. Hollywood kings like Clark Gable, Marlon Brando, Tony Curtis, and James Dean can fill up an entire wall. Screen goddesses like Sophia Loren, Bridgitte Bardot, Audrey Hepburn, and Rita Hayworth make a nice addition for any Hollywood movie party venue.
- Lots - and lots - of classic movies. Screens, projectors, and lighting don’t speak of Hollywood parties if you don’t have classic movies to show to your friends and guests. If you’re a classic movie fan, you probably already have a collection of classic movies on reel or on DVD. You can also rent out videos just in case you have special requests for videos you do not have on hand.
Reels for the movie
Movie lighting rig
“Beulah, Peel Me A Grape”: Party Food
In the 1933 film I’m No Angel, Mae West uttered a famous line telling her maid to peel her a grape, which is a luxury afforded only by the extremely rich. You don’t need to have bowls of peeled grapes ready for the next guest who plays Tira, but you can spice up your party with plenty of delicious food.
Setting up a Hollywood movie party takes up a lot of effort, so you may need to hire a catering service to take care of your party food needs. Many restaurants that do catering for parties have extensive options for food, drink, and service. Here are some options you can explore for your party:
À La Carte and Table d’hôte
For à la carte and table d’hôte options, you need to hire the services of the catering crew. It is a bit expensive, but a sit-down dinner is more convenient because you have a crew of attendants to help serve food. Your choices may also be limited to a selection of courses served by the restaurant or catering service.
Buffet dinners are more affordable than à la carte and table d’hôte. For a fee, you can also hire attendants from the catering service. What makes buffet more convenient is that people serve themselves, and has a wide selection of different foods to choose from. Make sure that when you do reserve for a buffet, you have to consider your guests’ food preferences.
“But Oh, Golly, Gee Damn!” Party Activities
Your party should be like Audrey Hepburn’s character of Holly Golightly in Breakfast at Tiffany’s: It should be fun and enjoyable for everyone no matter how weird or eccentric it seems. Here are some ways that you and your guests can pass the time in a classic golden age Hollywood-themed party:
Movie Scene Tableau
Now that your guests are dressed up as icons and legends of the silver screen, they can re-enact the scenes from classic Hollywood movies just for fun. A guest can play the dramatic role of Scarlett O’Hara in Gone With the Wind, act in the inspiring pose of Charles Foster Kane in Citizen Kane, or sing the song of Don Lockwood in Singin’ In The Rain.
Name That Quote
Many classic Hollywood movies have many memorable quotes. If you want to test your guests’ knowledge on classic movie lines, you can hold a small quiz show with small tokens or prizes in store.
Classic Movie Marathon
If you just want to sit back and relax and have a good time watching movies, now is the time to do it. It helps to have more than just one screen and one movie playing in the venue. Here’s where your many screens and projectors help to give the venue that classic fantasy feel; with a lot of projectors and movies to choose from, let your guests choose what they want to watch on their screens. (Why not choose from the list of the Top ten most interesting gangster of all times)
Whether it’s a silent movie from the days of Lilian Gish or a suspense movie from Grace Kelly, a classic Hollywood movie party is just the way to go. The next time you want you and your friends to experience the glitz and glamor of a golden time in the silver screen, you can try these tips for a successful Hollywood-themed party that they’ll come up and see sometime.
Check this out classic Hollywood Party Movie for movie stars.
View Comments: 3